Rep. Gohmert: Obama’s ‘Staggering’ Abuse of Law Grounds for Impeachment
Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013 09:30 AM
By Todd Beamon and Kathleen Walter
Should President Barack Obama move towards enacting gun-control legislation by executive order it would be grounds for impeachment, Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert tells Newsmax TV in an exclusive interview.
Obama has “already abused the law enough times that it’s just been staggering,” Gohmert said.
“It’s not a president who steps up and says: ‘You know what? Previous Congresses have passed the law — and it’s been signed into law, and I disagree with it, so I’m just going to create new law — and as I speak, so shall it be,’” Gohmert, a member of the House Judiciary Committee, tells Newsmax. “That’s not a president.”
“The American Revolution was all about fighting such a monarchy — and that is not what the Constitution anticipates. It’s not something a Constitutional president would do.”
“That is something to consider if the president is going to attempt to destroy the Constitution strictly with a pronouncement of his mouth or the stroke of his pen,” he said.
The president plans to announce his program to combat gun violence on Wednesday at the White House. He is expected to present 19 proposed actions — ranging from universal background checks for gun buyers to bans of high-capacity ammunition magazines to initiatives to strengthen mental-health checks — many of which he said can be implimented through executive order.
Obama also plans to seek a tougher ban on assault weapons, which are expected to draw strong resistance from House Republicans and from the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups.
Congress should cut funding to Obama proposals that impose on constitutional freedoms, Gohmert said.
“That’s what the Founders anticipated when in the Constitution they gave Congress the power of the purse. The problem is we have tried to defund things that appear to be illegal outside the scope of the current law — and we’ve passed those measures in the House, but there is a Senate, and you have a Senate that’s controlled by Democrats that are complicit with the violation and prevent the cut of funding to the White House or to the measures that overstep the president’s boundaries.
“Anytime the president overstepped his authority and usurped authority from Congress in the past, then there was a bipartisan effort on both sides of the aisle,” Gohmert added. “Both sides of the Capitol would come together and say: ‘Mr. President, privately we’re telling you, you have stepped beyond your authority. You have abused the power of the Congress, and we’re going to defund whatever you’re doing. We’ll defund the White House unless you stop this, knock it off.”
“But, now, unfortunately the Senate Democrats have been complicit with the president — and have refused to come together in a bipartisan, bicameral effort to let the president know that it’s illegal and that it is just compounding the intent of the Founders who set up these checks and balances.
“No one branch has overstepped its boundaries like this president has — and I’m hoping that, at some point, Senate Democrats will realize that protecting and saving the Constitution is more important than just petty, partisan bickering,” Gohmert said.
An assault-weapons ban will not survive in the U.S. House of Representatives, either.
“I don’t see how it would pass in the House, because we have had a so-called assault weapons ban,” Gohmert said. “Let’s face it, a knife can be an assault weapon, a machete – in Rwanda, they slaughtered 800,000 people with machetes.
“An assault-weapons ban has been tried for 10 years. It did nothing to stop gun violence. It doesn’t work. It is just an assault on the Second Amendment. It is not an assault on assault weapons.”
As for the upcoming negotiations on raising the nation’s $16.4 trillion debt ceiling, any agreement must have deep spending cuts, Gohmert said. “I would vote against any measure that doesn’t make massive spending cuts.
“The president, unfortunately, has been done such a disservice by people working for him,” he added, referring to historical references Obama has made about the role of spending cuts in previous debt-ceiling extensions. “Whoever is putting in the words in the president’s teleprompter is lying. He just said that nobody had ever used the debt ceiling for bringing down spending — and yet it just shows the absolute ignorance of the White House to reality.
“Every time in the last 30 years, if there has been a substantial measure to stop overspending, it’s been related to a debt-ceiling bill,” he said, referencing, for instance, the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings legislation from 1985. The bill, which President Ronald Reagan signed into law, was the first that sought to cut the federal deficit via automatic spending cuts.
“You can go on and on, and it’s all very clear — 1990, 1993, 1997 — every time the debt limit was increased, it was tied to spending restrictions,” Gohmert said. “This president has surrounded himself with people who are just giving him absolutely false information — and it’s an embarrassment to this president that he’s being lied to by the people on his staff.”
The United States will not default on its financial obligations, he said, because provisions have been made to pay our debtors, the military, and recipients of Social Security.
“For the president to be out there scaring senior citizens and telling them, in essence, although I’m not going to cut down on my multimillion-dollar vacations, you may have your check cut by order of the president if Congress doesn’t do what I say — that’s basically a temper tantrum,” Gohmert said. “He cannot control his own spending, so he’s being a fear-monger to senior citizens. It’s outrageous.
“It’s been done before with the military, and that’s why there is absolutely no reason for the United States government to default on spending,” he added. “It would be unconscionable — and if the U.S. government did, there would be only one reason, and that’s because the Secretary of the Treasury and the president have acted unconstitutionally, irresponsibly, and have ordered the government not to pay its debts, because we do have the money to pay our debts.”
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gohmert-gun-control-impeachment/2013/01/16/id/471665#ixzz2I9QFKsS5
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!
(List of United States Federal legislation, 2001-present)
The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 (H.R. 2647, Pub.L. 111-84, 123 Stat. 2190.) is a law in the United States signed by President Barack Obama on October 28, 2009. As a bill it was H.R. 2647 in the 111th Congress. The overall purpose of the law is to authorize funding for the defense of the United States and its interests abroad, for military construction, and for national security-related energy programs.
For sedition against the Constitution
January 15, 2013
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.”
Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.
There can no longer be any doubt – the forces of tyranny are running wild across our once great Republic. The time has come for all good men and women to rally to the aid of their country. We have now entered a historic crossroads that will decide the destiny of the United States. Arrogance and corruption has long festered in Washington DC, but the last decade has seen an extreme acceleration of criminal looting and attacks on liberty – every freedom is under sustained assault.
We the People, the rightful masters of this Republic, will either rise up through Congress and the states or we can trade in our birthright of liberty for the chains of a technocratic slavery. Below we list some of the more egregious acts of seditious treason against the Republic of the United States. Anyone who wishes to continue to live in a free country and to pass that birthright on to their children must research this document and then lobby state legislatures and the Congress to do their duty and remove the would-be dictator.
The time has now come for a bill of impeachment to be introduced and debated in Congress. Obama’s crimes are public, and the debate in the House will serve as a court in which to display the tyrannical activities of President Obama and his cohorts. As in the case of Richard Nixon, the exposure of Obama’s crimes may cause him to resign in disgrace. If he does not step down, the full House will then vote to begin the impeachment trial in the US Senate. The time has now come to make your decision – to stand up to evil or get on your knees as a willing slave.
Articles of Impeachment Against Barack Hussein Obama – Filed by Citizen Alexander Emric Jones, January 15, 2013.
– He has clearly communicated his intent to eviscerate the second amendment rights of American citizens bypursuing executive orders to curtail the right to keep and bear arms without congressional authorization and in violation of the second amendment.
Below, Congressman Stockman has pledged to move for impeachment against Obama. I am standing up against Obama right beside him, will you?
“The President’s actions are an existential threat to this nation,” reads a statement by Rep. Steve Stockman. “The right of the people to keep and bear arms is what has kept this nation free and secure for over 200 years. The very purpose of the Second Amendment is to stop the government from disallowing people the means to defend themselves against tyranny. Any proposal to abuse executive power and infringe upon gun rights must be repelled with the stiffest legislative force possible.”
– He has aided America’s enemies, violating his oath, by sending funds to insurgents in Syria who are being commanded by Al-Qaeda terrorists.
– He has violated federal law by overseeing a cover-up surrounding Operation Fast and Furious, the transfer of guns to Mexican drug cartels direct from the federal government.
– He has lied to the American people by overseeing a cover-up of the Benghazi attack which directly led to the deaths of four American citizens. The cover-up has been called “Obama’s Watergate,” yet four months after the incident, no one in the administration has been held accountable.
– He has brazenly undermined the power of Congress by insisting his authority came from the United Nations Security Council prior to the attack on Libya and that Congressional approval was not necessary. “I don’t even have to get to the Constitutional question,” said Obama. This is an act that “constitutes an impeachable high crime and misdemeanor under article II, section 4 of the Constitution,” according to Congressman Walter Jones.
– He has ignored Congressional rejection of the cybersecurity bill and instead indicated he will pursue anunconstitutional executive order.
– He has signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act which includes provisions that permit the abduction and military detention without trial of U.S. citizens, violating Habeas Corpus. Despite Obama claiming he would not use the provisions to incarcerate U.S. citizens, it was his administration that specifically demanded these powers be included in the final NDAA bill.
– He has enacted universal health care mandates that force Americans to buy health insurance, a clear violation of the Constitution in exceeding congressional power to regulate interstate commerce. Obama has also handed outpreferential waivers to corporations friendly to his administration.
– He has declared war on America’s coal industry by promising to bankrupt any company that attempts to build a new coal plant while using unconstitutional EPA regulations to strangle competition, ensuring Americans see their energy costs rise year after year.
– He has violated the Constitution’s Takings and Due Process Clauses when he bullied the secured creditors of automaker Chrysler into accepting 30 cents on the dollar while politically connected labor unions and preferential others received better deals.
– He has violated Article II of the Constitution by using signing statements as part of his executive usurpation of power.
“I will seek to thwart this action by any means necessary, including but not limited to eliminating funding for implementation, defunding the White House, and even filing articles of impeachment.”
Rep. Steve Stockman, Texas.
For these, and other offenses which constitute high crimes and misdemeanors, including perjury of oath, abuse of authority, bribery, intimidation, misuse of assets, failure to supervise,dereliction of duty, conduct unbecoming and refusal to obey a lawful order, we call for the immediate impeachment of Barack H. Obama.
This article was posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 4:13 pm
New Facebook: I Agree with Ben Swann, Release Sandy Hook Outside Video
Posted on behalf of James_Madison_Lives
Ben Swann has done an incredible thing, by calling for the release of outside video of the Sandy Hook school as well as the Aurora theater entrances to help prove each shooting was a “lone wolf” gunman. He is the first well-known and highly credible news figures to uphold our right to continually ask questions, and to remind authorities that it is they who are working for us, not the other way around.
The idea that we can question anything we want, as much as we want, is an idea which poses grave danger to the power elite leading all the way up to 9/11. The outrage of an American public at last truly and completely believing that they are being lied to and manipulated has not yet been fathomed.
Swann replays eyewitness testimony, in his Jan. 3 broadcast of Full Disclosure, of witnesses to multiple shooters at the “Batman” shooting, and also at the Sikh temple in Wisconsin.
Please like the new Facebook page “I Agree with Ben Swann: Release Sandy Hook Outside Video, Prove One it Was Person.” Such an open challenge gaining traction will be something they cannot ignore.
The Sandy Hook victims deserve an open and honest investigation which lays to rest disturbing questions which prevent healing. Ben Swann in his Jan. 3, 2013 broadcast of Full Disclosure says the shootings in Aurora, CO, at the Sikh temple in Wisconsin, and at Sandy Hook all have eyewitness evidence of multiple shooters, and that it is up to police to put to rest such speculation.
Here is the Jan. 3 broadcast at Youtube: http://youtu.be/wZPS7AdgNgE
The solution is simple. Release the surveillance video which we know was taken outside the Aurora theater in the “Batman” shooting and outside of Sandy Hook, to help prove there were only single, “lone wolf” shooters. Put the questions to rest.
Call or email the Attorney General of CT and demand he order the video released, or face legal action.
CT Attorney General George Jepsen
VIDEO, JAN. 3 BROADCAST OF FULL DISCLOSURE:
The Administration’s Rules for Mainstream Mockingbird Media
by Obama Minion
If you are a reporter for a major newspaper or broadcasting company, you are required to follow the following rules:
1. You shall show worshipful respect for the Obama Administration at all times, or you will lose access. Remember, if you investigate what we say, you are a homophobic racist. Be a patriot: Kill your curiosity.
2. At least once a week, your photographs must show a halo over Obama’s head.
3. If you encounter contradictions and discrepancies in an official story about an event, ignore them. You must report what the Administration tells you or suffer the consequences. (Thank goodness you idiots never scrutinized the Photoshopped birth certificate we produced.)
4. Mass shootings by crazed shooters with little or no firearms experience are commonplace. DO NOT QUESTION OFFICIAL ACCOUNTS. Ignore discrepancies and contradictions. THERE ARE NO SECOND OR THIRD SHOOTERS. Do not believe your eyes. Do not believe eyewitness accounts. Do not ask uncomfortable questions. Do not dig beneath the surface.
5. Remember, in the Wizard of Oz, Toto the dog was wrong to pull the curtain aside. Simply take what you are spoon-fed and file your story. Do NOT investigate independently. THE GOVERNMENT NEVER COMMITS CRIMES.
6. Do everything you can to mock and eviscerate the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights. We appreciate your assistance, but we will kill you, too, when the time comes.
7. You were taught critical thinking in college. Disregard such teaching. Only enemies of the Obama Empire teach you to think critically and to question authority. From now on, think like a second grader.
8. Everyone on the internet who questions official accounts is crazy and deluded. Be sure to mock and discount their reports.
9. THIS IS NOT A POLICE STATE. We have so informed you. Believe us.
10. Disregard reports that we keep list of our enemies. Only Republicans do that. We have so informed you. Believe us. We are always right.
GOP congressman threatens impeachment if Obama uses executive action for gun control
Joe Biden has dementia, Chris Brown and Rihanna will get engaged and other 2013 predictions [SLIDESHOW]
Register for Emails
Texas Republican Rep. Steve Stockman threatened Monday afternoon that he would file articles of impeachment against President Barack Obama if he institutes gun control measures with an executive order.
Stockman warned that such executive orders would be “unconstitutional” and “infringe on our constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms.” (RELATED: Levin: If Obama sidesteps Congress on debt ceiling, ‘no choice’ but impeachment)
“I will seek to thwart this action by any means necessary, including but not limited to eliminating funding for implementation, defunding the White House, and even filing articles of impeachment,” Stockman said in a statement.
At his press conference Monday, Obama floated the possibility of using executive action to enact policies aimed at reducing gun violence.
The freshman congressman, who served one term in Congress in the mid-1990s, further labeled the possibility “an existential threat to this nation” because, he said, the purpose of the Second Amendment is to allow the people to protect themselves from tyranny. (RELATED VIDEO — Walter Williams: People misunderstand the point of the Second Amendment)
“Any proposal to abuse executive power and infringe upon gun rights must be repelled with the stiffest legislative force possible,” he added. “Under no circumstances whatsoever may the government take any action that disarms any peaceable person — much less without due process through an executive declaration without a vote of Congress or a ruling of a court.”
He concluded by claiming that an executive order would be not just “not just an attack on the Constitution,” but also an “attack on Americans.”
“If the president is allowed to suspend constitutional rights on his own personal whims, our free republic has effectively ceased to exist,” he said.